Position: Software Development Intern
Please note, this position is only open to current students or recent graduates of the University of Edinburgh
As an intern you will be based in our Edinburgh Office where you will become part of our team developing our digital ICT products which accelerating energy access to rural communities in the developing world. Connected Energy has two products which will enter the market this summer, so it a very exciting time for the company. Cloud Solar is a monitoring and control platform for off-grid solar, and Smart Biogas is a monitoring system for small-scale biogas digesters.
This internship will involve working within our small (4 person) software development team to develop features for the first release versions of the software aspects of these projects. The products will be available as software-as-a-service subscriptions.
There are three different areas which you could be involved with, depending on your skill set:
1) Developing new features for our products Smart Biogas and Cloud Solar products. (our stack includes React, python, Django, Typescript, C++).
2) Providing a fresh eye on our UX/UI.
3) Working on developing new real-time analytics functions, providing useful feedback reports to business users (including carbon reporting).
4) Working on prototypes of a new products we have in the pipeline to provide clean energy to rural off-grid communities.
Benefits connected with this internship include:
1. The opportunity to be part of a small dynamic team working on a project that brings together tech and international development.
2. Sandbox days – once a fortnight day to work and develop a self-driven open source project that you believe could benefit the energy for development sector and the work we are seeking to do.
You will need to have knowledge/experience of at least one of the following (we can shape the role to best fit your skill set):
1. Experience of working with Arduino type micro-controllers and able to write C++
2. Ability to develop python code
It would be great if you are interested in renewable energy and international development, and therefore able to buy into the Connected Energy ethos. We strongly encourage candidates to look at our website before applying, to see if we are ethically and mission aligned.
Hours: 35 hours per week
Length: 10 Weeks